Sunday, November 6, 2011

Hail The 1%

Watching the 99% vs the 1% argument via the various Occupy movements across the nation, it started us thinking about applying that same percentage difference to local folks.  But, let's put a twist on the idea.  Let's use local numbers to view the amount spent in philanthropy, volunteerism and service to our communities.

Let's use the Redwood Memorial Hospital Foundation as an example.  At Saturday night's Benefit Ball, the Eel River Valley's top 1% income earners were present. They collectively donated well over $100,000 in one night to Redwood Memorial Hospital for the betterment of the hospital's needed equipment and services. 

These same 1% in the Eel River Valley are contributing similar donations all across the area--contributions that are helping our senior populations, our youth, our less fortunate and our communities as a whole to be healthier, happier and robust. Redwood Memorial Hospital is just one example of a great many causes where these contributions are applied.

This 1% gives so much through their businesses, service organizations, philanthropic foundations and personal volunteering.  And you see the same people day after day, month after month and year after year contributing in this way.   Yes, the top 1% of income earners of the Eel River Valley are quietly contributing to the betterment of the rest of the 99% of the community. 

Before we line up to protest in front of their businesses, their non-profit organizations, their municipal offices and their dairy ranches decrying the fact that they make too much money and should be taxed accordingly, just think what the 99% could do if so inspired by the actions of this particular 1%.


1 comment:

Ernie Branscomb said...

Yes, The Eel Valley's 1% can be rightfully proud of themselves and are well deserving of the praise that you have heaped upon them.

But, they are well within the scope of the 99% percent that are the downtrodden on an international scale. Think how good things could have been if the U.S. jobs hadn't been shipped offshore.

Think how nice it would be if we didn't have to have major fundraisers for our schools and hospitals.

But, as you say, we should be very, very proud of our own very, very benevolent contributors.