Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Living With A Cougar



Oh now, stop it!  The title doesn't refer to ....um....er.......well, nevermind.

There was another mountain lion sighting in Arcata as reported in today's Times-Standard.  Oh, the mountain lions are out there, that's a given.  How often humans get to see them is another issue.  I have had the rare opportunity of seeing five mountain lions in the past 40 years.  I have been very lucky.    The first sighting was when I was around 12 years old.  This cat was drinking out of the river below our house in the middle of the day.  The second sighting occurred when I was working one summer for the U.S. Forest Service.  Through the middle of a cut-block cruised two...yes, two, teenage cougars side by side.  Seeing that was a rarity in itself.   The fourth cat ambled right in front of me as I was driving on Fickle Hill Road in Arcata and disappeared into the woods.  And, a couple of years ago, I saw what I thought was a large dog run across Highway 101 at night near Trinidad.  The last glimpse I got of the puma was of the long tail vanishing into a ravine.   My father, who worked in the woods his entire life, didn't get the chance to see even one of nature's most elusive creatures.

Yes, I have been lucky living with the cougar.    (Oh, stop it...!)


~Spence

Yet another Cougar sighting!  

6 comments:

Saint Chuck said...

Now, Spence, we all know that cougars are traditionally considerably older than their male companions, and in Kate's case, I'm guessing that's not so. In, fact, I would venture to say that...oh, never mind. ;)

Anonymous said...

Hey! Isn't Arcata Tiger country?

Kate said...

Thank you Saint Chuck. I'm a baby cougar...two years older...and wiser...

Ernie Branscomb said...

I count 6, the 5 that you saw, and the "Baby Couger that caught you.

Kate said...

"Glove soft vinyl." The voice is so smooth I had to listen twice because I thought "surely he didn't just say 'glove soft vinyl.'" LOVE IT!

Doug Brunell said...

I guess living with a cougar is better than living with tweakers. No?